Online Course FAQ

Can I register at any time?
YES! Almost all of our online courses are ongoing and you can register at any time.  Once you register, you will have a minimum of one month and a maximum of one year to finish all required coursework.  We occasionally offer online courses that have specific start and end dates, please read the course description carefully.

When does my registration expire?
Your registration expires exactly one year from the day you submitted your registration form online (i.e. if you registered on May 21, 2015, your registration would expire on May 21, 2016).

What happens if I don’t finish the course requirements before my registration expires?
If you’re not able to complete all course requirements before your registration expires, you will automatically receive a N/C (No Credit) with the University.

Can I still get credit for a course if my registration has expired?
If your registration has expired and you still want to complete the course requirements for credit, you have the option to re-enroll in the course.

How do I re-enroll and what does it cost?
You may re-enroll in our courses by accessing the appropriate registration page and selecting the “Re-Enrollment” registrant type. The fee to re-enroll in a class is $100. Once you re-enroll, you have one full year to complete the course requirements before your registration expires.  You may re-enroll only once.  If you do not complete your re-enrollment within one year, you will be required to pay the full registration price to complete the course.

How long do I have to re-enroll?
You must re-enroll within six months of your registration expiration date. After six months, you will need to register for the class again at full price.

How fast can I complete a course?
Only you can determine how much time it will take you to complete all the requirements for a particular course. There are some time constraints. Aside from the one-year maximum time allotted to complete a course, you also must, at minimum, wait one month from your registration date before a grade can be submitted to the University. We cannot issue a grade for you until you have been registered in a course for at least one month.

How long does it take from the time I complete a course until my grade is entered at the University?
Once you complete all your coursework and have submitted everything to your instructor, plan on approximately two weeks before your instructor has looked over everything and issued an official grade. The instructor sends your completion grade to our office for record-keeping purposes. The same day we receive the grade from your instructor, we forward it onto the University where the grade is posted into their system. The University posts grades within 48 hours of receipt. Overall, plan on it taking two weeks from the time you submit your coursework until your grade is entered at the University.

How do I get my transcripts?
Once you finish a course and the instructor has submitted your grade, you will receive a course completion email with transcript request information.  If you’re in a hurry, you can also download the transcript request forms by clicking here:

By marking the box on the Transcript Request form that says, “Hold until current, off campus, term grades are posted.” and listing the course title or titles that you’re awaiting grades for, you will be one step ahead of the game when trying to receive your transcripts as soon as possible. Also, note that you may have your transcripts expedited for an additional fee.

Can I use these classes for re-certification with the State of Alaska?

All Alaska Staff Development Network (ASDN) online courses are approved by an accredited Alaskan university as 500-level, professional development courses, and are approved by the State of Alaska for teacher re-certification (with the exception of paraprofessional courses, which are noted as being lower-level credit).

Our Alaska History and Multicultural online courses meet the State’s requirements for Alaska Teacher Certification.

Although our courses are accepted by the state as upper division (500-level) credits, they are for professional development only and typically cannot be used toward a degree or accepted as a 600-level class.

If you’re not sure what courses you’re required to complete to maintain your certification, or to qualify for certification within the State of Alaska, visit the Department of Education and Early Development’s Teacher Certification webpage.